The Cookie Bible
(as of Oct 22,2021 10:33:47 UTC – Details)
This is your must-have cookie book, featuring nearly every cookie imaginable, from rustic Cranberry Chocolate Chippers to elegant French macarons, and everything in between—simple drop cookies, rolled-and-cut holiday cookies, brownies and other bars, pretty sandwich cookies, luxurious frosted or chocolate-dipped treats, and much more. With legendary baker Rose Levy Beranbaum’s foolproof recipes—which feature detail-oriented instructions that eliminate guesswork, notes for planning ahead, ingenious tips, and other golden rules for success—it’s easy to whip up a batch of irresistible, crowd-pleasing cookies anytime, for any occasion. Standout classics and new favorites include:
- Rose’s Dream Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Lemon Lumpies
- Black Tahini Crisps
- Peanut Butter and Jelly Buttons
- Double Ginger Molasses Cookies
- Caramel Surprise Snickerdoodles
- Mom’s Coconut Snowball Kisses
- Chocolate Sablés
- Gingerbread Folks (with a special sturdy variation for gingerbread houses)
- Pecan Freezer Squares
- Brownie Doughnuts
- Brandy Snap Rolls
- Plus “extra special” details including homemade Dulce de Leche, Wicked Good Ganache, Lemon Curd, and more
From the Publisher
Makes: Twenty-eight 2 ¼ inch round cookies
Oven Temperature: 375°F/190°C
Baking Time: 15 to 20 minutes (for each of two batches)
Special Equipment: Two 17 by 14 inch cookie sheets, preferably insulated, lined with parchment; A third cookie sheet to serve as a double pan if not using insulated cookie sheets.
unsalted butter [142 grams]
10 tablespoons (1¼ sticks)
heavy cream [232 grams]
1 cup (237 ml)
lemon zest [12 grams]
(finely grated, 2 medium lemons) 2 tablespoons (loosely packed)
dried cranberries [100 grams]
3/4 cup (lightly packed)
all-purpose flour [300 grams]
(preferably bleached) 2 ½ cups (lightly spooned into the cup and leveled off)
sugar [50 grams ]
baking powder [13.5 grams ]
(preferably an aluminum-free variety) 1 tablespoon
fine sea salt
honey [28 grams]
1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon (15 ml)
Preheat the Oven
Thirty minutes or longer before baking, set an oven rack in the middle of the oven. Set the oven at 375°F/190°C.
Mise en Place
Thirty minutes ahead or longer, cut the butter into 1/2 to 3/4 inch cubes. Wrap and refrigerate.
Into a medium bowl, weigh or measure the heavy cream. Refrigerate for a minimum of 15 minutes. (Chill the mixer’s beaters alongside the bowl.)
Whip the cream just until soft peaks form when the beater is lifted. Place in the refrigerator.
With dish washing liquid, wash, rinse, and dry the lemons, then zest them.
Using a chef’s knife, chop the cranberries together with the lemon zest until the cranberries are in coarse pieces.
Make the Dough
1. In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt. Add the butter and, with a fork, toss to coat with the flour. Press the butter cubes between your fingers to form very thin flakes.
2. Stir in the cranberry mixture. Make a well in the center. Place the whipped cream into the well, add the honey, and, with a silicone spatula, stir the flour mixture into the cream mixture until all of it is moistened.
3. Lightly knead the dough in the bowl just until it holds together.
4. Divide the dough in half (about 428 grams each). Work with one batch at a time, keeping the second one covered, and refrigerate if the dough softens.
Shape the Sconettes
5. Measure out 14 pieces of dough (1 rounded tablespoon/30 grams each) from the first batch of dough. Roll each piece of dough in the palms of your hands to form a 1½ inch ball. Place the balls about 2 inches apart on a prepared cookie sheet. Flatten into 2 inch discs.
6. Cover the sconettes with plastic wrap and refrigerate for a minimum of 20 minutes, up to 24 hours.
7. Repeat the shaping with the second batch; refrigerate.
Bake the Sconettes
8. Bake the first batch for 10 minutes. Rotate the cookie sheet halfway around. Continue baking for 10 to 15 minutes, or until the sconettes are golden brown. (An instant-read thermometer inserted in the center should read 212° to 215°F/100° to 102°C.)
Cool the Sconettes
9. Set the cookie sheet on a wire rack and use a pancake turner to transfer the sconettes to another wire rack. Cool completely.
10. Repeat baking and cooling with the second batch.
Publisher:Mariner Books (November 23, 2021)
Item Weight:1 pounds
Dimensions:8 x 9 inches